Mar 29

This has been a rather unpleasant month (don’t ask, I won’t tell) but right now I’ll look forward toward its end because of two reasons: for one, I’ll be in Hamburg for the European Lisp Symposium for the next two days; the program for the ELS has also been published in between. I’m really looking forward to an interesting set of talks. For another, some patches to CL-SQL which add support for autoincrement behaviour for Postgresql, are probably going to be released soon. To clarify, “autoincrement” is a column constraint in MySQL (among others) that automatically increments the value of the column when a new row is inserted when no value for the autoincrement column is given (cf. MySQL docs on AUTOINCREMENT), a behaviour that Postgresql supports with the serial constraint (cf. this wikibook on converting between MySQL and Postgres). Actually, that has been my first substantial amount of Common Lisp programming in the last two years, which has been triggered by an upgrade of my Debian system. This upgrade implied that an old application of mine would now use CL-SQL version 5.0 which in turn broke the app: I had simply specified a db-type of “serial” previously, but the new CL-SQL code wouldn’t recognize that it had to fetch the automatically generated value from the DB when inserting a new record. More details on the patches can be found on the CL-SQL mailing list.

The developement of this addition was also the first time I had a real-world setup developing with git. In my own projects I use mercurial, so I was eager to learn a little bit more about the differences. It’s funny that a recent opinonated article “Why I like mercurial better than git” more or less talks only about the one point that I found confusing: branch handling. For more background information, I suggest reading this article “A guide to branching in mercurial”. Basically, in my current projects where I use mercurial, I’m using the “branching with clones” approach Steve is describing there. When working on the patches for CL-SQL, I was working on the existing autoincrement branch but when I was through I wanted to port my patches to the master branch. When using mercurial with the described approach, selecting (pulling or pushing) my patches and only my patches to the master branch is dead easy: you just issue a pull/push command restricted to the “right” changesets. Doing this is even supported by Subversion these days via svn cherry picking. Looking at the docs for git pull, fetch and merge, I wasn’t able to figure out what the corresponding “right” incantation for git might look like, if there is one at all. As I didn’t want to hose my “working copy” (sorry for the SVN term again), I resorted to git format-patch, git am resp., which worked fine. Please note that I’m not suggesting that it’s not possible with another approach, quite to the contrary I would be happy to learn about it. One thing that I found rather useful is git’s stash command which let’s you safely abandon your current work to fall back to the last commited version, in order to be able to work on something that popped up in between (typically a minor unrelated problem you encounter while working on a larger piece of changes). I understand that mercurials patch queues enable a similar functionality, but I haven’t used them sofar. Another thing that I found very useful is git’s very easy way to correct (or in git terminology “amend”) a commit by just issuing “git commit -a”. I also like the idea of the “index” or more exactly that you have to explictly “add” which changes you want to commit. A similar behaviour is possible with SVN “changelist” command, but the mere existance of a changelist is not automatically honoured by SVN’s commit.

Posted by Holger Schauer

Defined tags for this entry: , ,